In the pursuit of a sustainable energy future, India is taking remarkable strides towards embracing the green hydrogen sector, a promising area not only for its positive environmental impact but also for catalyzing job creation and economic growth. However, charting a career path in the Green Hydrogen sector demands interdisciplinary skills, knowledge, and a commitment to staying abreast of the latest developments in technology, policy, and market trends. Continuous learning and active networking within the industry are also pivotal for career advancement.
Guest author – Nikhil Kela, Business Development Manager, Scientech Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
In this article, we explore the emerging job roles in India’s Green Hydrogen sector and the in-demand skills that will drive the nation’s transition to cleaner energy.
Phases of green hydrogen development
The journey towards a green hydrogen future unfolds in strategic phases:
- Establishing the infrastructure
- R&D and piloting
- Establishing regulations and standards
- Scaling up production and distribution
- Creating a market for green hydrogen
- Developing a national hydrogen strategy
Emerging job roles in the green hydrogen sector in India
As the country intensifies its focus on sustainable energy solutions, the green hydrogen sector stands at the forefront, promising economic growth and environmental benefits. From technicians and engineers involved in the production and storage processes to project managers, safety experts, and skilled professionals in transportation planning, the demand for a diverse set of skills is soaring. Training programs aimed at harnessing this transformative energy source are contributing significantly to job creation, with the potential to generate over 600,000 positions.
Green hydrogen production:
- Technician and Assistant
- Technician Supervisor
- Design Engineer
- Production Operator
- Production Plant Manager
Green hydrogen storage:
- Storage Engineer
- Research Scientist
- Hydrogen Refueling Station Designer
Green hydrogen transportation:
- Fuel Cell Technicians
- Refueling Station Operators
- Fuel Delivery Drivers
- Vehicle Mechanics
- Transportation System Planners
In-demand skills in India’s green hydrogen sector
Training and skill development are pivotal to unlocking the full potential of green hydrogen, ensuring a skilled workforce capable of propelling India’s green hydrogen revolution. This skilled workforce is indispensable for the successful implementation of green hydrogen projects.
- Safety management: A paramount skill across all roles due to the nature of the industry.
- Communication skills: Effective communication within teams and with stakeholders.
- Adaptability: Crucial in a rapidly evolving industry embracing new technologies and practices.
- Regulatory compliance: Understanding and adherence to environmental and safety regulations.
- Technical expertise: Role-specific technical skills such as CAD proficiency, material science knowledge, and advanced understanding of hydrogen technologies.
- Leadership and management: Essential for roles involving supervision, project management, and team leadership.
- Analytical skills: Particularly important in roles involving data analysis, risk assessment, and market trend analysis.
Scientech’s training solution to address the growing need for skill development
The growth of the sectors and in-demand skills creates the need for industry-focused training to prepare the workforce for the future. To address the increasing demand for expertise and skills in green hydrogen technology, Scientech is developing training solutions with specific learning and training objectives focused on Green Hydrogen Technology.
Their offerings include practical experience with electrolyzers, operating PEM Fuel Cells, assembling fuel cells, and exploring various other concepts.
These Training Solutions are useful for:
- Engineers and technologists
- Energy industry professionals
- Skill enhancement of Technicians
The training solutions provide numerous benefits, including specialized knowledge and skills, industry-relevant expertise, and opportunities for career advancement. The programs also foster economic awareness and emphasize environmental impact considerations. With versatility in applications, they contribute significantly to a sustainable future. In essence, they not only equip individuals for success in the green hydrogen industry but also play a vital role in advancing global sustainable and environmentally conscious practices.
As India positions itself as a leader in the green hydrogen sector, the emphasis on skills and job creation becomes instrumental. The successful transition to green hydrogen necessitates a workforce equipped with diverse expertise across the entire value chain. By investing in training and skill development, India can not only realize its energy and climate goals but also foster economic growth, job creation, and a sustainable future for generations to come.